Below is a list of the Top 5 Breville Coffee Makers of 2018. This list of Breville coffee makers is based on customer reviews pulled from across the web, as well as insight from professional reviews. Read on to learn which Breville coffee maker we liked best, as well as to gain pricing and product information.
Finding the Best of Breville
To find the best Breville coffee makers of 2018, we first examined user reviews and customer feedback. We value reports from actual customers highly, and those carry the most weight in this review.
Next, we examined professional reviews, then considered aspects such as durability, value, features, and availability. Finally, we ranked the products on a 5-star scale to help you find the best Breville coffee maker for you and your household.
The semi-automatic Breville BES870XL Barista Express simply brews better espresso than more expensive machines. The machine is relatively easy to clean and use, and has an attractive stainless steel housing.
- The Barista Express uses a 54mm stainless steel portafilter with commercial style spouts
- The conical burrs extract optimal flavor from the bean by maximizing the surface area of the grinds.
- Coffee makers can use fresh beans for each shot of espresso, leading to unmatched flavor quality
- The Barista Express’ hopper utilizes a locking system for simple removal.
- Beans can be easily stored in the hopper
- The Barista Express lets users choose the size of the grind, as well as the amount of beans to be ground. Grind can be set from coarse to fine.
- The precise amount of ground espresso can be dosed directly into the unit’s filter basket.
- The package includes a 54mm tamper for elite tamping control. The tamper is stored magnetically for convenience.
This is not a machine for the casual coffee drinker. The Breville Barista Express is a coffee-house quality espresso machine for those who dream about creating their own barista-style espresso within the confines of their home.
This Breville coffee marker measures 16 inches tall by 13.5 inches wide with a depth of 12.5 inches, meaning it is roughly the size of a standard drip coffee maker but about twice as wide.
This is a large machine compared to other coffee makers within its class, and the Barista Express is intended to be something of a display or centerpiece within one’s kitchen.
The unit uses a hands-free grinding cradle. To operate the cradle, a user simply needs to push the portafilter into the cradle, and newly-ground espresso will cascade directly into the filter. The grinder stops automatically when the desired amount has been extracted.
An integrated stainless-steel water coil precisely controls the temperature of the water. Meanwhile, the machine’s volumetric control allows users to preset 1 and 2 cup options, producing the perfect cup on-demand.
The Barista Express also allows for easy milk texturing. This is because the unit includes a swivel-action steaming wand, which works wonderfully for frothing.
The machine has great aesthetic appeal, featuring a stainless-steel chassis and a steel portafilter. But components like the large bean hopper, companion burr grinder, and pressure gauge are premium features only found in coffee houses and on machines of this caliber, including semi and super automatic espresso makers.
Resting within a price range of $549.00-$599.00, the Breville BES970XL is an investment, but not out-of-range for what someone should expect to make for an espresso machine of this quality. Other machines, such as the Philips Saeco GranBaristo Avanti, have retail prices ranging from $2000-$2500, making this Breville coffee maker a bargain by comparison.
The Breville Precision Brewer brews coffee quickly and with outstanding consistency. The user can control the water temperature, flow rate, and presoak time, allowing coffee drinkers to craft the perfect cup.
- 6 preset modes including Gold Cup certified by SCA
- Precise & Adjustable (PID) Temperature Control
- Designed to suit your favorite Pour Over Adapter (Adapter Sold Separately)
- Pour Over Adapter Compatible: Designed to suit your favorite pour over dripper
- Uses a dual-filter basket systel, with Flat Bottom and Cone Baskets included
- Holds a capacity of 60 ounces or 12 Cups
- Brewer settings include Gold Cup, Fast, Strong Brew, Ice Coffee, Cold Brew, My Brew
- Package includes the Breville thermal Carafe and a coffee spoon
The Breville Precision Brewer is the 60 oz. drip coffee maker with the precision required to brew craft- filter coffee, automatically.
The machine is customizable, and features a number of automatic presets. With 6 unique brewing modes, users can enjoy the perfect, balanced coffee exactly the way they like it.
Preset modes include Gold, Fast, Strong, Iced, Cold Brew, and My Brew. With My Brew you can fine tune to your taste by adjusting bloom time, flow rate and brewing temp.
A key feature of the Breville Precision Brewer is the PID Control, which allows adjustable and precise digital temperature control. Additionally, a user can brew any volume of coffee exactly as they desire with the Flat Bottom & Cone Filter baskets, both included.
The Breville Precision Brewer displays an impressive level of control, but for most people the Precision Brewer is going to be excessive. This machine was built for the small percentage of the population that likes to experiment with water temperature, flow rate, etc. in the interest of creating an artistic cup of coffee. It’s a bit much for the average user.
The machine is also expensive, even by Breville coffee maker standards. At $260-$280, the Breville Precision Brewer isn’t exactly a poor value, but it is more than most brewers will want or need.
Featuring 60 unique settings, this highly-programmable grinder maximizes the potential of any brew. This Breville coffee maker allows users to choose between 'cups' for French Press or Filter and 'shots' for Espresso to get the exact measurement for the coffee they desire.
- Smart Grinder pro uses Stainless Steel conical burrs to minimize grinding heat, thus protecting the coffee bean’s essential oils and optimizing flavor
- Unit features 60 precise grind settings, ranging from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind
- Unit operates with a voltage: 110 - 120 Volt and showcases impressive 165-watt power
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments, producing a consistent dose every time
- 18-ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Users can grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold-tone filter basket, or paper filter
The Breville Smart Grinder Pro grinds coffee beans for many beverage styles, including espresso, drip, French press, and cold brew. It’s an impressive all-in-one for the coffee enthusiast.
The machine measures its grounds perfectly using a digital timer, allowing user to repeatedly produce a perfect cup of joe. The Breville Smart Grinder Pro also features an attractive stainless steel design, LCD screen, and cradles that accept espresso portafilters.
However, the machine is relatively expensive, and does not include a scale to confirm the amount of grounds it produces.
While the Smart Grinder Pro is programmable, it is only programmable by the cup. It cannot produce full pots of drip. Those who want larger quantities will have to hold down a button and manually grind the beans to produce greater volumes.
For coffee drinkers who prefer individual servings of pour-over or espresso, the Breville Smart Grinder Pro will likely suit their needs, albeit expensively.
However, experienced home baristas are probably better off purchasing a kitchen scale and a less-expensive manual burr grinder.
The Smart Grinder Pro has an MSRP of $199.00, but can be found online for a bit less than that.
If money is no object, allow us to suggest the Breville Oracle Touch, which at a suggested retail price of $3750 costs a bit more than your first car.
- The Breville Oracle Touch was awarded the 2017 Best New Product by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA).
- Choose from a menu of five café drinks: Espresso, Americano, Latte, Flat White and Cappuccino.
- Swipe and Select color touchscreen lets users construct their favorite café-style drinks from scratch
- Users can customize coffee strength, milk temperature, and texture to taste, then save their settings on the unit
- Conical burr grinder with 45 adjustable grind settings from fine to coarse.
- Mess-free brewing, as the Breville Oracle Touch tamps-and-grinds to the desired consistency
- Automatic hands-free milk texturing meets any user’s personal preference, ranging from smooth latte to delicious cappuccino.
- Users can brew espresso shots in any size, including single and double-cup as well as custom
- Makes Americano-style coffee easily and effortlessly though hot-water delivery system
The Breville Oracle Touch espresso machine can craft the perfect cup of coffee for you. It’s Breville’s first in-home super-automatic espresso machine, and not only grinds down whole beans, but also froths milk and pulls espresso shots.
As one would expect, the machine hosts a bevy of features that set it apart from every other Breville coffee maker, and with a price-tag this steep, it had better.
The machine has won a number of awards, including 2017 Best New Product from the Specialty Coffee Association. Very few professional or customer reviews dispute the quality of the Breville Oracle Touch.
The questions for the consumer become those of practicality and affordability. The Breville Oracle Touch caters to an extremely-niche market, and most buyers are simply not going to consider a coffee maker in this price range, no matter how elaborate it may be.
While Breville has an MSRP of $3750 on the unit, the Breville Oracle Touch is available through retailers for about $2500.
Closing out this list of the Best 5 Breville Coffee Makers for 2018 is the Breville YouBrew Drip Coffee Maker. The machine is cutting-edge and sophisticated, but concerns about user-friendliness keep it from climbing higher up this list.
- Built-in burr grinder yields the perfect amount of coffee based on programmable user preferences
- Quick, easy coffeehouse-fresh coffee each and every brew
- Simple clean-up thanks to removable grinds catcher and cleaning brush (included with unit)
- The water tank is easy to fill, and spills aren’t an issue
- Easy-to-read and operate LCD Display
- Single cup or carafe buttons allow users to choose the amount of coffee brewed, from around 7.5 oz. to 12 cups
- Adjustable brew strength and flavor profile, with each cup brewed to your preferences
- Coffee makers features an auto-start program to get coffee going before you get out of bed
- Compatible with paper and gold-foil filters
- 12-cup carafe included with unit for serving larger parties
- Warming plate keeps coffee hot for hours after brewing
- BPA-free housing, with a company guarantee that coffee will not be contaminated with BPA
The Breville YouBrew makes it possible for users to brew their ideal cup of coffee, thanks to the YouBrew’s unique coffee brewing system
Most drip machines simply drip water over the coffee grounds to make coffee. However, coffee needs to be steeped in hot water for a complete, full-bodied taste.
In the single cup mode, the Breville YouBrew holds the coffee and water together for a more robust, flavorful cup. The process is similar to how a French Press coffeemaker works, allowing the coffee and water to steep together for up to four minutes before drinking and enhancing flavor.
The Breville YouBrew BDC600XL features an eye-popping premium brushed-metal body, as well as a built-in burr grinder.
This Breville coffee makers produces single cups or full 12-cup carafes. The machine's water tank is easily accessible.
However, common customer criticisms of the Breville YouBrew depicted the machine as high-maintenance. Criticisms varied, but users noted that the machine is expensive, needs constant cleaning, sometimes brews bitter coffee, and takes up too much space on the kitchen counter.
It could be said that Breville got too technical with the YouBrew. While terms like “sophisticated” are frequently attached to the YouBrew, the machine does not rate as highly as others on this list because it needs a bit of additional streamlining.
Brew Better Coffee with a Breville Coffee Maker
It’s our hope that you find this list of the 5 Best Breville Coffee Makers for 2018 helpful. Breville makes a number of machines in different pricing tiers, most of them with a host of cutting-edge features, to help users brew the perfect coffee cup in their own homes.